Exciting times! Our first challenge - a snow shader.
The initial scene setup is very straightforward and only takes 5 minutes. It is important that we standardize scene conditions between contributors, so please make sure that you're not setting up the scene differently.
- Download and extract the .zip package.
- Open or load in the alembic, containing the scene geometry and camera.
- Assign a lambertian material to the floor geometry, assign the checker texture map [tex/checker_floor.tif] to the color slot.
- Repeat step 3 for the macbeth chart [tex/macbeth_chart.tif].
- Create an HDRI light and plug in the provided HDRI. Leave the light intensity at 1. Rotate the light by 90 degrees along the Y-axis.
A reference images of the default lighting condition can be found here.
Please make sure to post renders using this setup. It is allowed to post extra renders using your own light setup. Since the shared light setup is at the core of the challenge, this will be heavily moderated. You've been warned!
What is expected of you?
The focus of these challenges is on sharing shading knowledge. Explain the shading setup in as much detail as you can be bothered to do. Think of shaders.xyz as a sort of open source project. About creating extra geometry - just try to think if it would work in a shading pipeline. If you think it would be practical, go for it.
Feel free to post WIPs in this thread.
To tag others in a post, use the "@" symbol.
That's all! The winner gets picked by the admin team on the 1st of April, 2017 (no joke!) and will receive an exclusive SHADERS.XYZ t-shirt (hype!).Don't forget to motivate others by voting for your favorite submission!